Under the direction of the Prophet Joseph Smith, the cornerstones for the Nauvoo Temple were laid during a grand ceremony on April 6, 1841. The walls of the temple were only about half way up when Joseph Smith was killed in 1844. Brigham Young urged the Saints to keep working on the temple.
Though never fully finished, various parts of the temple were used by the Saints for a short time. This was the case with the temple font and third floor, in which nearly 5,600 people were endowed before Brigham Young and the Saints were driven from Nauvoo.
These images show the rebuilt Nauvoo Illinois Temple and stone from the original temple, both loose and in the old Nauvoo jail, which is still standing.